Annual Progress review
All juniors meet with their counselor individually in February or early March. Topics include:
- Review of transcript and progress toward graduation
- College/career/military plans and Career Pathways
- Using Scoir to build a resume and continue researching colleges
- Using YouScience to continue researching careers
- College planning, including registration procedures for the SAT & ACT
- Course selections for senior year
- A copy of students' course selections is sent home for families to review before student schedules are built.
For families and students: Junior family college planning night
College-bound juniors and their families are invited to view our virtual college planning seminar. Topics include:
- College admissions process (four-year schools vs. two-year schools)
- Campus visits
- Scholarships & financial aid
- High school resources
The annual Eastside College Fair will be hosted by Jamesville DeWitt High School on Monday, 10/3/2022, 6:30pm - 8:30pm.
Due to COVID-19, the college fairs run by the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) were virtual for the spring of 2022. Please check back for updates on the status of college fairs for the spring of 2023!
College Admissions Exams (SAT & ACT)
College-bound juniors are typically encouraged to take the SAT or ACT (or both) before their junior year ends. This allows for time to retake the exam(s) (if necessary) before fall college application deadlines. Juniors planning to take the SAT are encouraged to take the PSAT in October. Counselors distribute information about PSAT registration during English classes in early September.
Since the COVID-19 outbreak began, many colleges (including all SUNY colleges and universities) have adopted test-optional admissions policies. Some schools will remain test-optional beyond the current 2022-2023 admission cycle, and others may again require an SAT/ACT score for admissions in the coming years when testing is safe to do again. Please check carefully with the schools that you plan to apply to in order to fully understand each school's admission criteria for your cohort.