Annual Progress review
All juniors meet with their counselor in February or early March. Topics include:
- Review of transcript and progress toward graduation
- College/career/military plans and Career Pathways
- Using Naviance to continue researching careers and colleges
- Registration procedures for the SAT & ACT
- Procedures for requesting letters of recommendation for college applications
- Course selections for senior year
- A copy of students' course selections is sent home for families to review before student schedules are built.
For families and students: Junior family college planning night
College-bound students and their families are invited to attend a college planning seminar on Wednesday, March 10th, 2021. Topics include:
- College admissions process (four-year schools vs. two-year schools)
- Campus visits
- Scholarships & financial aid
- High school resources
National college fair at OCC's SRC Arena
Due to COVID-19, the decision to schedule the 2021 college fair is under review.
College Admissions Exams (SAT & ACT)
College-bound juniors are typically encouraged to take the SAT or ACT (or both) before their junior year ends. This allows for time to retake the exam(s) (if necessary) before fall college application deadlines. Juniors planning to take the SAT are encouraged to take the PSAT in October. Counselors distribute information about PSAT registration during English classes in early September.
Since the COVID-19 outbreak began, many colleges (including all SUNY colleges and universities) have adopted test-optional admissions policies to ease the burden on applicants to locate testing centers (many of which are not operating). Some schools will remain test-optional beyond the 2020-2021 admission cycle, and others may again require an SAT/ACT score for admissions in the coming years when testing is safe to do again. Please check carefully with the schools that you plan to apply to in order to fully understand each school's admission criteria for your cohort.