Drivers EducationThe ESM Driver Education course typically consists of classroom and practice driving instruction under the supervision of certified teachers. Students who successfully complete this course have the advantage of receiving a Night License at age 17 and parents may receive a discount on their auto insurance. Students who receive free or reduced lunch can qualify for a discount for Driver Education. The necessary waiver form is available in the Registrar’s office (in the main office of the High School).
Due to Covid-19 restrictions and guidelines we are able to offer Driver Education in an adjusted way. Students will complete the lecture portion of class here at ESM CHS with a certified Driver Education Instructor. The 24 hours of in-vehicle instruction (the laboratory portion) must be completed under the supervision of a parent/guardian holding a valid NY State Driver’s License. Information regarding the requirements and documentation of this time is included in this registration packet.
The cost of the course for ESM students is $375.00.
The cost of the course for out-of-district students is $525.00.
Registration & Schedule Pickup:
- Applications will be available on April 1st
- All applications must be submitted with a full payment.
- Students will be scheduled based on required summer school classes and in the order that they have paid in full.
- Registration will close when there are no available spaces or on Friday, June 11th .
- ALL students must verify paperwork and pick up finalized schedule on Wednesday, June 23rd from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM in ESM Central High School Lobby.
Schedules for Driver Education students are developed based on the following:
- Schedule of other summer school courses
- Date of full payment
- Enrollment numbers
- Student/Parent identified preferences
- July 6 th to August 12th classes will be held Monday through Thursday each week with the exception of the week of July 6 th when classes run Tuesday through Friday in observance of the July 4th holiday.
Period 1= 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM
Period 2= 9:40 AM - 11:10 AM
Period 3= 11:20AM - 12:50 PM
Pre-requisites for an MV-285 Form to be issued:
1. 16 years old and hold a valid Learner’s Permit or Junior Driver’s license both by July 6, 2021
2. Attend all classes and document drive time (as required by law from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles)