Emergency School Closings:
Whenever circumstances arise that the Superintendent makes the decision to close schools due to weather related or emergency situations, the following procedures will be utilized:
- Varsity athletic contests/practices scheduled for the day in question will be canceled. If later in the day projected weather conditions have reasonably improved the schedule games and/or practices could occur. Central Administration will determine if there is an exception.
- When school is closed, all JV and Modified practices and contests will be canceled for that day.
- The administration reserves the right to cancel all activities within the ESM District if there is any reason for concern to the safety and welfare of the student-athletes, staff, and ESM District Community.
Decisions on games to be played on a particular day are made after 2:00 pm by the Director of Athletics.
Lightning Policy—NY State Thunder & Lightning Policy
The potential danger from lightning should not be underestimated. All cautions must be taken to ensure student/athlete and spectator safety. School district and site personnel should be aware of the signs indicating thunderstorm development and a plan for shelter should be set up prior to the start of any contest. Thunder and lightning necessities that contests be suspended. The occurrence of thunder and/or lightning is not subject to interpretation or discussion—thunder is thunder, lightning is lightning.
Procedure: When thunder is heard and/or lightning is seen, the following procedures should be adhered to:
- Suspend play immediately and direct participants to go to shelter, ideally a building normally occupied by the public, or if a building is unavailable, participants should go inside a vehicle with a solid metal top (e.g. bus, van, car).
- Do not permit people to stand under or near a tree; and have all stay away from poles, antennas, towers, and underground watering systems.
- After thunder and/or lightning have left the area, wait 30 minutes after the last boom is heard or strike is seen before resuming play or competition.
Should the event be canceled, the rules of the particular sport regarding such cancellations shall apply as to the event becoming official or resumed at a later date.
Back to Athletic Handbook table of contents