ESE In Person & Distance Learning UpdatesBelow are communications sent via SchoolMessenger:
August 26, 2020
Dear ESE Parents and Guardian,
I hope that you and your family are enjoying your summer and staying safe and healthy! I want to thank you for your patience and flexibility while we determined the capacity of our building for the In-Person Learning Model. The data collected from the incredible response to the survey allowed us to conclude that we can move forward with the In-Person Learning Model for five days a week, while also maintaining the Distance Learning Model for five days a week.
If you are considering shifting your child from 5-day In-Person Learning to Distance Learning, please contact me as soon as possible. This will be important to ensure that we have space for your child and can accommodate your request before school starts. Our Covid-19 Safety Plan restricts the number of students we may host for in-person learning based upon the physical capacity of the school. We may need to change a student’s classroom assignment based upon in person numbers. However, we will do our best to minimize changes to class lists.
We are fully prepared to offer rigorous and engaging academics for all of our students, whether they are learning In-Person (IP) or Distance Learning (DL). Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) is an essential part of our educational plan, and substantial effort will be made to foster connections and relationships between our in-person and distance learning students. Special areas instruction (Physical Education, Art, Music, and Library) will also be provided in-person and remotely. We will also continue the provision of Special Education Services as well as Support Services for our students as needed.
You will receive more information regarding your child’s start to the school year, including their classroom placement, the process for picking up a school-issued Chromebook, and essential training for our district COVID-19 protocols shortly. It is important that you review this information carefully and the videos included when you receive them. We all must contribute to a safe environment for our students, staff, and community at East Syracuse Elementary School from the first day of the school year to the last.
You may pick-up your child’s chromebook according to the schedule below. Report to the main entrance. Our staff will be in the lobby with the chromebooks. You will need to sign for the chromebook and the power cord. We distribute computers from 8:00a to 3:00p each day.
K, 1st and 2nd - September 2
3rd, 4th and 5th - September 3
East Syracuse Minoa CSD has instituted a phased-in approach towards starting the school year, and all students PreK-12 will begin in Distance Learning on Thursday, September 10, 2020. You will receive information about supporting your child in signing into their Google Classroom first thing in the morning that day. Your teachers will also provide further instructions at that time while they build classroom community, expectations, and kick off standards-based instruction remotely.
We will phase-in In-Person learning as follows:
- Thursday, September 17th - 5th-grade students will report for in-person learning. All other grade levels and distance learners will continue distance learning.
- Friday, September 18th - 5th and 4th-grade students will report for in-person learning. All other grade levels and distance learners will continue distance learning.
- Monday, September 21st - 5th, 4th, and 3rd-grade students will report for in-person learning. All other grade levels and distance learners will continue distance learning.
- Tuesday, September 22nd - 5th, 4th, 3rd, and 2nd-grade students will report for in-person learning. All other grade levels and distance learners will continue distance learning.
- Wednesday, September 23rd - 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st-grade students will report for in-person learning. All other grade levels and distance learners will continue distance learning.
- Thursday, September 24th - 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, and K grade students will report for in-person learning. Distance learners will continue distance learning.
All students who are in the Distance Learning cohort will continue to engage in instruction remotely, and all students who are in the In-Person learning cohort will report to school for instruction each day. Please know that circumstances beyond our control may change this plan at any point in time, and this will be communicated with you as promptly as possible.
We look forward to another wonderful school year at East Syracuse Elementary School! If you have any questions, please contact the main office by calling 315-434-3850.
Ronald L. Perry
East Syracuse Elementary